Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Swim Class - Day 1

I went to a swim class today, which is impressive in it's own right as I'm not a fan of new experiences nor do I enjoy meeting new people, plus I had to wear my swimsuit around a bunch of ultra lean triathletes!  I know, it's weird to hear complaints like that from a guy, but we have body image issues just like the ladies.

Overall it was a positive experience, though I prefer my nice warm pool at the Y.  Class was an hour long and consisted of lots of 25m drills and a few longer sets.  I'm not sure how long we swam total, but I would guess somewhere in the 1500 - 2000m (or yards, I'm not sure how long the pool is).

Lessons learned:

  • I'm not the only person who sucks at kick drills.  My hips have been bothering me the past few days and I really felt them here.    
  • I need jammers.  I read somewhere that my board shorts can add 10 - 15 seconds per 100y, so there's an easy improvement, without spending a fortune!  They should be here Friday.
  • I am a decent swimmer, which is awesome considering I am terrible at running.  I seem to have a solid natural stroke and swim around 1:45 - 1:50 per 100y.  If what I read is correct I should get that down to 1:35 - 1:40 by simply changing my swimsuit.  Not only was I able to keep up in my lane, I actually had to slow down a few times as I was catching the person in front of me.



1 comment:

  1. Good for you for getting out there and taking a class. I had to re-start swimming from scratch 4 years ago and that was with swimming lessons at the Y. You already have some decent speed for a beginner! I'm not that fast and I've been doing this for years, haha!

    ReplyDelete